Home' Traveller : Scoop Traveller WA 022 Contents July - December 2012 Scoop Traveller 141
BLACKWOOD RIVER VALLEY
● Harvey Dickson’s Country Music Centre has an amazing
collection of Elvis memorabilia and old farm equipment.
● The Carnaby Beetle and Butterfly Collection at the Boyup
Brook visitor centre is world famous.
● Visit Boyup Brook’s Hot Country shop for country clothing and CDs.
● Blues at Bridgetown, in November, is a great event.
● Canoe the Blackwood River and camp on the riverbank.
● Chudacud Estate winery, restaurant and tavern – between
Boyup Brook and Bridgetown – is very popular.
● Balingup’s Medieval Carnivale, in August, is great fun. It’s
a very pretty little town with lots of quirky shops.
President, Country Music
Club of Boyup BroOk
Get up close and personal with kangaroos
at the wildlife sanctuary just north of Boyup
Brook. See jigsaw puzzles in every size
imaginable at the visitor centre in Bridgetown.
See all the creepy crawlies in the Carnaby
Beetle and Butterfly Collection in Boyup Brook.
Explore the playground or play giant chess in
Memorial Park at Bridgetown.
Call into the Bridgetown Visitor Centre and pick
up their new Walk Trails booklet, with 18 detailed
walks through Greenbushes, Bridgetown and
Hester. The 15km Greenbushes loop connects
to the Bibbulmun Track, which runs through the
middle of the Blackwood River Valley.
Hire a canoe for a calm paddle on the
Blackwood River near Nannup, Bridgetown or
Boyup Brook, or take your own for an action-
packed whitewater thrill (only for the extreme
enthusiast!). It’s always best to check with
canoe clubs for conditions.
● Freshwater fishing requires a permit from Department of Fisheries (from Fisheries offices, Australia Post and at
www.fish.wa.gov.au). Rainbow and brown trout season is from September 1-April 30 (bag and size limits apply).
● For canoeists and kayakers, fast-flowing water between Bridgetown and Nannup can pose dangers from hidden
snags. Check conditions with Neville Hamilton on (08) 9756 1209, or check the Blackwood Canoe trails.
Location TBC August 11-12
Harvey Dickson’s Country
Music Show, Harvey Dickson’s
Country Music Centre, Boyup
Brook September 28-30
Blackwood Classic 250
Power Boat Race, Blackwood
River, Bridgetown to Augusta
September 29-October 1
Festival of Country
Bridgetown, Balingup, Manjimup
and Nannup October 12-14
Rodeo, Harvey Dickson’s
Country Music Centre, Boyup
Brook October 26-27
Main Festival of Country
Balingup, Manjimup and
Nannup November 1-4
Boyup Brook November 6
Blues at Bridgetown,
Various venues, November 9-11
Jalbrook Classic Concert,
Balingup November 24
Show, Bridgetown Showground
Cherry Harmony Festival,
Manjimup 8-9 December
Balingup Lavender Farm.
Country music territory
(Photography Cynthia Dix).
The Nannup to Balingup road
(Photography Tourism WA).
Enjoying the water near
Links Archive Scoop Traveller WA 021 Scoop Traveller WA 23 Navigation Previous Page Next Page